Millions of Americans suffer from dental anxiety or dental phobia. These patients may put off necessary treatments for years.
Fortunately, our team at Fort Bend Dental provides multiple safe and reliable forms of sedation that can help nervous patients relax during dental appointments.
Our office locations in Richmond and Missouri City, TX, offer gentle, convenient dental care. Could sedation dentistry help you?
What Is Sedation Dentistry?
Sedation dentistry refers to the use of anesthesia during dental procedures for the purpose of helping patients enter a more relaxed and comfortable state. This type of dentistry is often used during surgery or restorative treatments that require a significant amount of time in the dental chair, such as a wisdom tooth extraction, dental implant placement, or root canal therapy. It is also beneficial for patients who have difficulty controlling their movements, such as those with cerebral palsy or Parkinson’s disease.
Although sedation dentistry is sometimes referred to as sleep dentistry, it is important to note that patients usually remain conscious during treatment. Rather, the sedative medications simply help induce a state of deep relaxation. As a result, patients can enjoy a less stressful experience.
I started going to Fort Bend Dental about two years ago when I heard about how great their team was. Previously, I have not had positive experiences with going to the dentist, but all of my appointments with this team of Dentists have been exceptional. From the friendly, upbeat front office staff, to the dental hygeniest and highly knowledgeable Dentists, I feel more comfortable than ever going in for cleanings. I love that the staff is so easy to talk to and really help to make your experience as enjoyable as possible. I am grateful to have found a Dentist that I can trust to do great work! I would recommend Fort Bend Dental for anyone looking for a high quality team of Dentists and staff!
View On Google
Always an amazing experience at Fort Bend Dental. Dr. Baethge is compassionate, exceptional, and gentle. The office is warm and staff welcoming. My hygienist was detail oriented and on time. Quality dental work and care! Thank you!
View On Google
Schedule a Sedation Consultation Today
At Fort Bend Dental, we serve the smiles of Fort Bend County and beyond from office locations in Richmond and Missouri City, TX. Our doctors are committed to always putting the patient's best interests first, and in many cases, that means helping anxious patients relax through sedation dentistry.
Our doctors can safely and comfortably administer nitrous oxide, oral sedation, or IV sedation for both routine and advanced dental treatments. We believe in the importance of dentistry, and we want to make it accessible to as many patients as possible, so we encourage anyone afraid of dental work to inquire about sedation.
When you come in for an initial consultation, our dentists can examine your smile and evaluate your medical history to determine which method of sedation is right for you. You can schedule a consultation right now by booking online or calling:
(281) 499-3541Contact Us
I have always had a good experience. I have been with them for over ten years. Both Dr Jerry and Kevin Baethge have taken good care of me and I could not be happier! The staff is the best they are always pleasant and helpful!
View On Google
They always treat me well there. The dentist and the hygienist are very professional and helpful in making sure I do what I need to keep my teeth as healthy as possible.
View On Google
Is Fear Keeping You from the Dentist?
In order to maintain good oral health and the integrity of your smile, experts recommend seeing the dentist for a routine checkup at least twice a year. However, fear of dentistry prevents many people from seeking proper dental care. If it has been some time since your last dental visit, your smile needs attention, and Fort Bend Dental can make it easy for you with our dental sedation options. We encourage you to schedule an appointment with our skilled dentists today. You can make an appointment by booking online or calling:
(281) 499-3541Contact Us
Which Sedation Method Is Right for You?
At our dental practice in Richmond and Missouri City, TX, we offer our patients three types of sedation dentistry: nitrous oxide, oral sedation, and intravenous sedation. Each method has unique advantages and disadvantages. When you elect to undergo dental sedation, you and our dental professionals will come to a joint agreement on which method to use.
Nitrous oxide is administered via inhalation through a nosepiece or small mask. Sometimes known as laughing gas, it has a mood-altering effect that relaxes the body and makes you feel more at ease. Under this type of dental sedation, most patients feel a pleasant, heavy sensation, as though they are sinking into the chair. Some may experience a tingling or numb sensation in their fingers and toes. When administered by a medical professional, nitrous oxide should cause no complications or harmful side effects.
- Safety: Complications from nitrous oxide are extremely rare.
- Adjustable Dosage: Because the dosage can be adjusted at any point, you can remain in a comfortable state throughout treatment.
- No Risk of Allergic Reaction: Because the gas consists of nitrous and oxygen – two common elements – you cannot have an allergic reaction to it.
- Quick Recovery: The effects can subside in as little as five minutes, so you will be able to drive yourself to and from the dental office.
- Fast Onset: When administered, it takes only one to two minutes to feel the effects.
- No Needles: Because the gas is administered via inhalation, no needles are necessary.
- Conscious Sedation: You will be in a relaxed state, but you will remain conscious and aware of your surroundings, so you will still be able to follow instructions and talk to the dentist.
- Decreased Gag Reflex: The gas can temporarily reduce or eliminate gagging for a more comfortable experience.
- Mask: You may find the mask is uncomfortable to wear at first. However, once the gas begins to take effect, the mask becomes more tolerable.
- Relatively Weak: Nitrous oxide is the least potent of the sedatives we offer, and it may not be strong enough for more involved procedures.
Oral sedation involves taking a sedative by mouth before coming in for your appointment. A variety of medications can be prescribed by our dentists, including medications in pill form and liquid form. The most common medications prescribed are benzodiazepines. Different oral medications have different levels of potency, but all are strong enough to make you feel relaxed and to numb your senses during treatment.
- Safety: When taken as directed, complications arising from dental sedation medications are very rare.
- Powerful: Some prescriptions on the market today are very powerful and can help you remain calm through lengthy and involved procedures.
- Conscious Sedation: You will remain awake and responsive after taking your oral sedative.
- Customizable: The doctor will be able to recommend a prescription and dosage uniquely suited to your medical history, metabolism, and dental sedation needs.
- Non-Invasive: This is the least invasive of our dental sedation offerings, as it requires no needles and no mask.
- Slower Onset: Oral sedatives do not take immediate effect, so they have to be ingested at least an hour before your appointment.
- Non-Adjustable: Unlike the other methods, the dosage of oral sedation cannot be adjusted mid-treatment.
- No Driving: You will need to have a friend or family member drive you to and from your appointment.
Intravenous (IV) Sedation
We also offer IV sedation at our offices in Richmond and Missouri City, TX. This method involves administering sedatives directly into the bloodstream. Similar to oral conscious sedation, the medications used for IV sedation are usually benzodiazepines. This is the most powerful form of sedation dentistry we offer and is a great option if you require a lengthy procedure or have extreme dental anxiety.
- Safety: When administered by a knowledgeable doctor like the dentists on our team, the risks associated with intravenous methods are low.
- Powerful: The medications involved induce a heavily sedated state.
- Precise Control: Our doctors are able to precisely adjust dosage as the procedure is ongoing.
- Quick Effects: Once administered, you will begin to feel the effects almost immediately.
- Conscious Sedation: You will remain conscious and able to cooperate with our dental professionals. However, this technique can involve a long period of amnesia, so even though you'll be awake and responsive, you likely won't remember any part of your treatment.
- Needles: This method does require a direct injection into the bloodstream, which can make some patients uncomfortable.
- Side Effects: Potential side effects of IV sedation are nausea, headaches, and prolonged drowsiness.
- No Driving: You will need to arrange for a ride to and from your appointment, and you will not be able to drive or operate heavy machinery for at least 24 hours.
Everyone was friendly and very thorough.
Dr. Kevin Baethge is top-notch and very well trained not just in new dental technology but in showing kindness and patience. If I could give more than five stars, I would.
View On Google
Very professional and friendly staff, highly skilled doctors and hygienists. Have been going there regularly for about 25 years. I’m 66 and still have all my teeth. That should speak for itself!
View On Google
Fort Bend Dental
Fort Bend Dental has provided the community of Fort Bend County with high-quality dental care for over 30 years. With two convenient locations in Richmond, TX, and Missouri City, TX, to serve you and your family, our services include:
- General Dentistry
- Complete Family Dentistry
- Cosmetic Dentistry
- Restorative Dentistry
Contact us today online, or call us at (281) 499-3541 to request an appointment today!Book an Appointment