Establishing good dental care habits when you are young is essential to enjoying a healthy smile for life, which is just one of the many reasons dental care for teens is so important. General dentistry services help prevent dental damage so you can enjoy a beautiful, healthy smile. When it comes to providing dental care for teens, our Missouri, TX team of dentists at Fort Bend Dental offer the latest techniques and treatments. To learn more about dental care for teens, schedule a consultation today.
Proper Dental Care for Teens
With proper dental care, teens can prevent oral health problems and enjoy a healthy smile as they reach adulthood. Without good dental care habits, teens may experience tooth decay, gum disease, and even tooth loss. Teens should practice the following dental care tips to protect their smiles:
- Schedule regular dental exams and cleanings: Dental exams and cleanings should be scheduled at least every six months to catch dental damage early and keep the teeth free of dangerous plaque and tartar buildup.
- Brush thoroughly: Brushing the teeth regularly helps prevent gum disease and tooth decay. The teeth should be brushed a minimum of twice a day and should be brushed for a full two minutes at each brushing. Care should be taken to clean along the gum line and back teeth.
- Floss everyday: Flossing is one of the most effective ways to prevent gum disease and tooth decay between the teeth. Floss at least once a day to protect your oral health.
- Limit sugary foods and drinks: Teens often indulge in sugary foods and drinks, which greatly increase the risk of tooth decay. Limiting sugary junk food and soft drinks can help protect the teeth from decay and cavities.
- Wear a mouth guard when playing sports: Sports-related injuries are a common cause of chipped teeth and tooth loss among teens. Wearing a mouth guard while playing sports can prevent dental damage and preserve the smile.
- Practice special care when wearing braces: Special dental care is necessary for teens with traditional braces. The teeth should be brushed after each meal, and chewy, sticky foods should be avoided in order to prevent dental staining and decay around the braces.
Popular Treatments for Teens
Dental damage can lead to serious oral health problems. Fortunately, there are many aesthetically pleasing treatments to restore dental health while enhancing the smile's beauty. Some popular treatments for teens include:
- Tooth-colored fillings: Dental cavities and decay can be treated with tooth-colored fillings for restored health.
- Porcelain veneers: Teeth damaged by minor chips and fractures can be repaired with porcelain veneers.
- Porcelain crowns: Porcelain crowns are tooth-shaped restorations designed to encase damaged teeth, making them a great choice for treating severely decayed or broken teeth.
- Traditional orthodontics: Teens with moderately to severely crooked teeth can be straightened with traditional braces.
- Invisalign®: Teens with less severe orthodontics issues may prefer more discreet treatment with Invisalign® clear orthodontics.
Schedule a Consultation
To explore your treatment options, we welcome you to schedule a consultation at Fort Bend Dental today.
Posted on behalf of