Invisalign vs. Braces: Which Treatment Is Right for You?
Invisalign® is a discreet orthodontic treatment that makes it possible for patients to achieve a straighter smile without traditional metal braces. Although it is a popular option, many people still choose traditional metal braces to correct their alignment issues. At Fort Bend Dental, we help patients decide between Invisalign and braces at our Missouri City, TX, and Richmond, TX, offices, serving Fort Bend County and surrounding areas.
When considering orthodontic treatment, it's important to understand the benefits and disadvantages of Invisalign and braces. The following is a brief comparison of the two treatments. For more information, we welcome you to schedule a consultation at Fort Bend Dental.
About Invisalign and Braces
Invisalign and braces are orthodontic treatments designed to straighten the teeth and enhance both the appearance and health of your smile. While they provide similar outcomes, they have fundamental differences:
Invisalign uses a series of clear trays to correct the position of the teeth over about 12 to 14 months.
Braces use a system that consists of metal or tooth-colored brackets attached to the teeth and joined by wires and rubber bands. The length of time patients need to wear braces varies based on the complexities of their alignment issues but can take 18 months to two or more years.
The Benefits of Invisalign
There are many benefits to choosing Invisalign to correct issues like an overbite, underbite, and crooked teeth. Some of the benefits that make Invisalign a popular choice include:
- Clear aligners make Invisalign orthodontic treatment nearly invisible.
- The plastic trays are smooth and custom-made, making Invisalign orthodontic treatment more comfortable than traditional braces.
- Aligner trays may be removed for ease of brushing and flossing the teeth.
- Because trays are removable, no foods are off-limits.
- Fewer appointments are needed during Invisalign treatment than with traditional braces. Typically, Invisalign patients will see their orthodontist once every six weeks instead of every three to four weeks.
The Benefits of Braces
Although braces aren’t discreet or removable like Invisalign, there are still benefits to traditional orthodontics. Some benefits of using braces to improve your dental alignment include:
- Braces can treat even complex bite issues such as severely crooked teeth, rotated teeth, or cases that require significant tooth movement.
- Braces are attached to the teeth so there's no risk of forgetting to wear them.
- Treatment with traditional metal braces often costs less than Invisalign.
The Drawbacks of Invisalign
There are some disadvantages of Invisalign when compared to braces to be aware of when considering this orthodontic treatment. Some of the disadvantages include:
- Invisalign cannot correct severe orthodontic issues that require significant dental adjustment.
- Patients may forget to wear their aligners or fail to wear their aligners for the necessary amount of time, which is at least 20 hours a day. Failing to wear your aligners properly can delay the progress of treatment.
The Drawbacks of Braces
Likewise, there are disadvantages to wearing braces when compared to Invisalign. Some notable disadvantages include:
- Braces require frequent adjustments to move the teeth to their desired position. Generally, adjustments are performed about once every three to four weeks.
- Braces can be uncomfortable, especially after an adjustment, and it can take some time to get used to the brackets and wires rubbing against the inside of the mouth.
- Braces are noticeable, which can cause insecurity throughout the treatment.
Find Out Which Treatment Is Right for You
If crooked teeth or bite issues are making you unhappy with the appearance of your smile, Invisalign or braces may help. To find out which treatment is right for you, please call (281) 499-3541 or schedule a consultation online at Fort Bend Dental.